It seems that gas prices are always on the rise, and between driving to work everyday, dropping off the kids, and running errands, it may feel as if you are filling up your vehicle's gas tank way to often. Budgeting is important, and learning how to safe and budget for fuel can have a large effect on your wallet.
The most common culprits of wasting fuel include:
- Loose or missing gas caps
- Under inflated tires
- Faulty thermostat
- Worn spark plugs
- Poor wheel alignment
While all of the above can lower your vehicle's fuel efficiency, luckily these can all be prevented and/or taken care of.
Here are some of our fuel saving tips:
- Always make sure that your tires are properly inflated and aligned, as this can lead to using up more gas than needed and can actually cost you money due to tire and suspension system damage
- Make sure your car is tuned up, well maintained, and in good shape. All of the above culprit are due to poor vehicle maintenance, so regular inspection and service will give you the best fuel efficiency possible.
- Have a clean air filter, as dirty air filters can lower your gas efficiency by up to 10%.
- Your spark plugs should be replaced according to vehicle manufacturer recommendations.
- Improve your driving habits by driving safer. Try to avoid slamming on the brakes or gas.
Following these fuel saving tips will not only save you money, but will also keep your vehicle running at its best. If you're due for a tune up, give us a call here at Motorhaus today!